Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Shining


"You're money's no good here, Mr. Torrance"


review of The Shining (1980)- Stanley Kubrick




When it comes to Stanley Kubrick, you might say that I am an avid viewer of his work, but not a fanatic. Don't get me wrong, I love Lolita, Dr.Strangelove, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, but they are just not some of my favorite films. The Shining, on the other hand, is in my Top 15 films ever made. I've read the Stephen King novel over ten times, seen the film over thirty times, and they both scare the living daylights out of me.


Let me set the record straight. I haven't been a big horror genre fan since the late 1990's. Horror films have become nothing but a simple way to make easy money, rather than creating a quality scary movie. Like I said before, I've seen The Shining countless times and it still remains completely terrifying. Every time I finish watching it, I am always peering over my shoulder on the lookout for a wild-eyed Mr. Torrence or a freakish pair of dead twins.


The roles of Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), Wendy Torrance (Shelley Duvall), and Danny Torrance (Danny Lloyd) could not have been better cast. The signature trademarks of these three are Nicholson's utter insanity, Duvall's look of terror, and Danny's reaction to the mysteriousness of the Overlook. The supporting roles were brilliant as well: Scatman Crothers as the cautious Dick Hallorann, Barry Nelson as the strict and fast-paced Stuart Ullman, and Joe Turkel as the creepy, yet welcoming, bartender Joe.


The cinematography is truly fabulous. Before the chaos ensues, the viewer already feels the cold chill running down their spine due to the appearance of The Overlook. Kubrick gives it an incredibly spine-chilling feel, especially when Jack starts losing his mind. The scene with Jack at the party in The Gold Room is off the wall creepy! Everything from his discussion with the bartender, to his encounter with Delbert Grady in the restroom is pure horrific genius.


Last but not least, I need to mention the fact that The Shining has one of the most brilliant endings in cinematic history. Granted, I already knew what the ending was before I watched the film for the first time, but nonetheless Kubrick pulled it off with style. I've introduced this film to so many friends and family members, and they all have one thing in common by the end of the film: a look of complete shock and awe. Kubrick's visionary tale of the classic Stephen King novel will dominate the ages.

No comments: